Drainage can be done a number of ways
Water build up can cause problems with plantings, sod, mosquitoes, water intrusion into the house, and much more. Because we have such little slope in the Houston area, drainage is a major concern for most homeowners. There are several ways to address the problem:
1. Simple grading and/or the addition of planting beds can solve most problems.
2. Under eaves with no gutters and along low lying fence areas a trough of cement, flagstone, or pavers can be an inexpensive and affective fix.
3. Sometimes it is necessary to install a drainage system using pipe and catch basins. Typically 4" pvc sewer and drain pipe is used and connected to a series of catch basins with drain grates and channeled to the street . Using pvc is much preferable than using corrugated flex pipe because it is less likely to clog.
4. If there is a problem in the yard and a catch basin would be too intrusive, a French drain can be installed. This is perforated pipe covered with gravel and weed cloth and covered with either sand, or sod. French have a slower percolation than a catch basin system and as such are less efficient.
5. Sometimes the only outlet for the water is either up hill or a long run of level ground. In such instances, an active drain system is needed. This consists of catch basins connected to a sump by drain pipes. In the sump is an electric pump which is activated when it fills with water and forces the water to a satisfactory discharge point.
You can count on us to install the most appropriate type to solve your drainage problems.
French Drain Active drain pump Catch basin Elevated bed and drain Cement trough